If we talk about gathering and transmitting of news in this way we all are the reporters. If we go back in our older days people verbally transmitted news and as we can see with the progress in technology we have got new sources through which we get news. In earlier times people who used to travel brought news from outside their land and delivered in their land and slowly it spread like a fire in different towns.
Journalism the main source and primary source of news would be printing press i.e. newspapers and in later 20’s and 21st-century people got sources like radio and television.
Print media always played an important role of giving away the news to the mass population. In past days literacy rate was low so there were fewer people to read newspapers but with the gradual increase of literacy, newspapers got their popularity. When news gathering got importance we saw a rise in news agencies and publications. Later we saw the birth of telegraph, radio, and televisions as an element of journalism.
Print media is a new innovation. Then we are wrong we can date back in 59 B.C Rome circa, at that time news was noted down in Acta Diurna. Later in China, while Tang dynasty somewhere in 618- 907 A.D prepared a report named Bao which was given to the officials to keep them updated with the events. To witness first-ever regular news publication we must go back in 1609 in Germany. As time goes by the value of newsgathering increase. News agencies came to play and started to hire people who would gather news and write on them and later evolved as a profession.
Journalism as a profession no one ever imagined it as a profession. In earlier days we just saw it as a simple process of gathering and disseminating the ongoing topics. But later it gained popularity when people started to use it to promote their propaganda. We talk about journalism in America journalist started their work in an organized way and the first ever foundation of journalism took birth in England, 1883.
The timeline history of journalism:
1. Somewhere in 1556, the government of Venice introduced the monthly written notices known as Notiziescritte in which everything regarding politics, military activities, and economic news was conveyed in Europe.
2. The Gazette de France was in play in 1632 in France as a first-ever newspaper of France. The physician of the king Theophrastus Renaudot introduced it. It was used to promote the propaganda of the monarch. All these newspaper were checked before getting published.
3. James Augustus Hickey started India’s first newspaper as an editor which was named as Hickey’s Bengal Gazette in 1780 and later in 1826 on May 30th started a Hindi newspaper UdantMartand in Calcutta.
4. Somewhere in 1920’s radio and television evolved as a source of news. Before Second World War many experimental televisions were studied and were put in action in 1940’s. Radio reached its highest popularity in 1930’s to 1940’s but later television also gained popularity but not completely eliminating radio.
5. Let us talk about the latest phenomena i.e. internet journalism. Due to the rapid increase of internet usage people are able to access news anywhere and anytime at their fingertips. Many newspapers faced difficulties and bankruptcy due to the internet journalism. Her audience doesn’t require any paid subscription. Something like mobile journalism is also taking its place and evolving as the easiest method to acquire news through social media and other websites of different news channels by using the internet as the main source.
Journalism is an evolving field. It is getting bigger and stronger as a professional field. It has changed over past few decades and still developing day by day with the growing technology. From carving on walls to writing on scribes to writing on paper to typing on the computer till typing on the mobile phone shows us how it is changing each day. Therefore, there are many more innovations are left to unfold in this world in the field of journalism.