Women in India: Status, Position and their problems in India

Women’s position in India: Humans are widely divided on the basis of biological differences, into two categories, viz males, and females. Males are genetically gifted with aggression, explosive power, heavy generation of H.G.H. hormone, high testosterone level which enables their physical structure to grow at a rapid pace. Females are conferred with same hormones as the males but with different proportions; thus they lack in H.G.H. hormone which helps in body growth: therefore they need more proteins and more diet supplements to grow better than males or at least as better as males. Underdeveloped societies have not enough intelligence to understand that if females lack in some hormone than males also, do not have such hormone which females have.

According to the census, females’ percentage in total population stands at around 48% and remaining percentage of 52% is filled with the population of a male. Some are aborted or are killed before their birth and the remaining die due to the unjust society: societies allow males to dominates over females and females have no chance to stand with their point in front of male; this trend is also established, respected and adopted by an orthodox society blinded by misogynistic beliefs. Sex-ratio which is defined as the ratio of males to the ratio of females.

Year wise sex ratio of India are given below

1901 – 972 females per 1,000 males

1971- 930 females per 1,000 males

1981- 934 females to 1,000 males.

1991- 926 females per 1000 males

2001- 933 females per 1000 males

Taking into account the matter relating to the literacy rate of women; the reluctance of having a daughter can be seen, by mere checking the population of illiterate women: the quality of education need not be checked to verify the misogynist society. 55 women on 100, are illiterate they are not even able to write and read their own name. Reading and writing is still a mystery for more than 245 million Indian women this condition of India made it the country, comprising of world’s largest number of unlettered women.

It is not so, that whole of the country is reluctant towards having and adopting the daughter. Literacy rate differs largely in different states. For example – 95 per cent of women in Mizoram are literate while 34 per cent of women are literate in Bihar.

Still there are traits of improvements in some field, for example, life expectancy of females is increased and also, is more as compared to males: For woman life expectancy is expected to be 64.9 years while 63 years for men is expected by a UN Statistic Division; moreover, the Working women population has also experienced a rise: in 2001 working women are observed to be 25% which is far more than the 13% which was observed in 1987.

All above facts indicate and highlight the low standards of women prevailing in India and simultaneously shows a clear picture of the struggle fought by women, to improve their conditions and standard.


Share on:

We believe in sharing knowledge with everyone and making a positive change in society through our work and contributions. If you are interested in joining us, please check our 'About' page for more information