This article explains how scholarships affect the lives of international students who move to a new country to pursue their dreams. In addition, it describes how the application functions, its uses, and its benefits for students. The article also discusses various scholarships for sociology students all over the world. Also discussed in the article are the most prestigious colleges for sociology, eligibility for scholarships, and the application process for international students.
For many, studying abroad is a dream come true, whether it is for their bachelor’s, master’s, or PhD degree. Through studying abroad, endless possibilities and opportunities open up. It introduces us to a whole new world. Moving to an entirely new country can sometimes seem daunting but also challenging. However, most of the time, financial issues stand in the way of our dreams. Some students lack funds and can’t afford to get a loan from banks. Despite this, don’t let money deter you from fulfilling your dreams. Various scholarships fully or partially fund students’ education in multiple countries for different courses. If you are someone who is looking forward to studying Sociology abroad but are worried about the fees then you have come to the right place!
What are Scholarships and How do they Work?
Scholarships can be defined as financial aid, grants and awards given to students in need. Scholarships are sponsored by Governments, Organisations, institutes, Colleges and Universities, Business Companies and even by Not-Profits. They are different from loans as you don’t need to repay them. The scholarships are assessed based on assignments or exams or interviews, and the financial situation of the student along with the aptitude and dedication of the student is taken into consideration while granting scholarships. One can apply for scholarships in high school, in college and even for PhD studies. It is open for all students to apply and is nationally and internationally based.
For each scholarship for which you wish to apply, you must complete an application form. Once the thorough assessment of the scholarship is done, the selected students are notified about it. It can be partially or fully funded. That means some scholarships provide half of the fee of your course while some sponsor the entire amount. There are a few scholarships which cater to the hostel or rental needs of the students and support them for it too. In some scholarship schemes, the scholarship check or money is sent directly to the college/university the student is selected for under their name. Sometimes, the money is given directly to the students, under their names. The said money can be used for tuition fees, purchasing notes, books and study materials as well as for food and other basic needs. There are also a few scholarships which provide a monthly quarterly or yearly allowance and stipend to students to manage their studies and other chores. A student needs to go through all the details and requirements of the scholarship before applying for it. Also, the misuse of scholarship money should be strictly provided as it allows for studying without any pressure of repayment.
Sociology scholarships to study abroad
Sociology is a discipline that gives us broad insight into the functioning of society and its various aspects. It provides students with an understanding of why certain events are happening as they are. If you are looking forward to studying Sociology as your major then studying abroad will help you understand different perspectives of society and give you a chance to interact with a multitude of communities. It will also open up a plethora of chances and opportunities for you and create a social impact. Scholarships act as a tool that will help you fulfil your goal. Getting into your dream college is difficult but managing funds and tuition fees for your college is an arduous task and sometimes can appear challenging. There are several scholarships from various countries that will allow you to pursue sociology abroad.
- Rhodes Scholarship:
If you are looking forward to studying at the prestigious Oxford University, then the Department of Sociology at Oxford provides various courses like MSc, MPhil, and DPhil in Sociology. Sociology at Oxford University is concerned with real-life and contemporary complex issues which the world is facing right now. Studying and living in the UK can seem difficult for international students but the Rhodes Scholarship allows you to complete your dream.
Every year approximately 100 scholarships are awarded to international students who will begin their PG program at Oxford. The scholarship covers the student’s entire tuition fee along with travel expenses, health insurance and housing and rent cost.
- To avail of the benefit of the scholarship, the student must be selected and admitted to Oxford University.
- The age of the applicant should be between 19 to 25 years during applying.
- The applicant should be from the country that is eligible for the Rhodes Scholarship.
- Applicants should have completed at least 4 years of Education in the last and recent 10 years.
- The applicant should complete their undergraduate degree in first class.
Scholarship application process:
- To avail of the benefit of the scholarship, the student must first create an account on the Website of Rhodes Trust.
- Then the application form must be filled out along with the personal information required documents.
- Documents like the statement of purpose, letter of recommendation, updated resume, copy of valid passport, photograph and IELTS or TOEFL score should be submitted.
The detailed procedure for applying and selecting for the Rhodes Scholarship is on their website.
2. Western Illinois University Scholarships:
If you are looking forward to completing your Sociology majors in the USA, then Western Illinois University has several scholarships to help you achieve your dream. The Department of Sociology and Anthropology of WIU offers four annual scholarships for undergraduate sociology majors.
The sociology scholarships offered are as follows:
- The Harriet Stull Sociology Scholarship-
An annual award of $1600 is given to outstanding sociology students.
- The Kara Leigh Broughton Memorial Scholarship- award is given to students who wish to bring a change in the world with the help of the knowledge and experience they gain here. It is analysed based on an essay on “How You Intend to Use Your WIU Education to Make a Difference in this World.”, which the students are required to submit.
- The Pathways Scholarship is a scholarship awarded to incoming sociology or anthropology majors transfer students.
- The Sociological Masters Scholarship- This scholarship is an annual award given to an outstanding student who fulfils all the basic academic requirements and is enrolled in the M.A program in Sociology.
Along with the departmental scholarships and grants, the WIU also provides full scholarships on tuition fees for international undergraduate and graduate students. The scholarships for international students apply to those who are non-sponsored and enrolled at the WIU for the first time. The grant ranges between $4,000 – $8,000 per year, depending upon the scholarship you are applying for. It is available during the fall and spring semesters.
Scholarships offered for international students-
- International Undergraduate Commitment Scholarship.
- International Graduate Commitment Scholarship
- International Graduate Transfer Commitment.
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- The scholarship is renewable if the GPA is maintained.
- The scholarship form should be filled out simultaneously with the college application form.
- Students enrolled in the online course are also eligible.
- The scholarship is applied to the tuition fees only.
More details about various scholarships and courses offered by the WIU are available on their University website.
3. Vice-Chancellor’s International Scholarships, Newcastle University, UK.
Newcastle University in the United Kingdom provided multiple courses across different disciplines. The Sociology department at Newcastle University aims to focus on diversified research methodologies, social schemes and an interdisciplinary outlook. The inclusive and friendly environment makes it a desirable place to study. If you are looking forward to pursuing Sociology as your major then the Vice-Chancellor’s International Scholarship at Newcastle University will help you follow your dreams.
- The applicant must be a national of one of the following countries: India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand or Vietnam.
- The applicant must have accepted an undergraduate or master’s degree program at Newcastle University’s campus in 2023/24
- To be classified as an international student for fee purposes
How to apply:
- The applicants must apply for the scholarship while filling out the application form from the college.
- The applicants will be selected based on merit.
- Academic course applications that meet the eligibility requirements will automatically be considered for a Vice-Chancellor’s International Scholarship.
4. The Canadian Experience Scholarship-
The Canadian Experience Scholarships are available for Masters’s degrees in all university-affiliated subjects. The scholarship is provided by St. Lawrence College, Ontario, Canada and is valued at Partial Funding, CAD 2000. This scholarship is open to students from around the world. St. Lawrence College has a profound sociology department that explores different sociological perspectives and theories in 2 years. If you are looking forward to studying sociology in Canada then this is the right scholarship for you.
- To qualify for Canadian Experience Scholarships 2022, students must hold an offer letter from St. Lawrence College for a Masters-level program.
- International students are eligible to apply for Canadian Experience Scholarships 2022.
- For the Canadian Experience Scholarships, candidates must meet university admission requirements.
How to Apply:
- Aspirants must take admitted to the graduate program at the university to be eligible for this award program.
- After that, the application form for the scholarship needs to be filled out.
- The student needs to submit the following documents to avail of scholarship: passport, Original/certified as well as translated copies of your completed secondary/Post-Secondary transcripts or equivalent, original/certified Secondary/Post-Secondary Diploma/Degree.
5. University of Surrey Sociology PhD Studentship, UK, 2022-23.
The University of Surrey in the UK gives exemplary scholars in the field of Sociology an opportunity to pursue their PhD under their guidance. The studies will cover, for three years or on a pro-rata part-time basis: full costs (at national or international rates), an annual allowance (£16,000) and a training grant of £500 per year will be provided to the recipient. Two prizes will be awarded to exceptional graduate researchers whose work corresponds to the research topics of the Department of Sociology. More details about the themes on which the School works are available on their website.
- To be considered for the PhD program, applicants will need to meet the minimum requirements. The requirements are mentioned in detail on the website of university.
- Applications must be submitted to the University of Surrey by successful candidates.
- References will be checked before offers are made.
- Any UK or international student is eligible to apply for this studentship.
How to Apply:
- The application forms are available on the official website of the University.
- The applicant needs to fill in all the details along with a statement of purpose and research proposal in the form.
- Various stages including an interview will be conducted before final selection.
6. International Tuition Grant Scholarship at Michigan State University, USA.
Michigan State University has a renowned and eminent Department of Sociology which was established in the year 1924. Since then the department has focused on rigorous research and high-quality teaching methodologies and has indulged in impactful engagement with society. The sociologist from the University conducts research around the world along with various stakeholders and in multiple disciplines. The University offers undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate programs in sociology. The international tuition grant scholarship at the MSU is especially for a graduate degree and is available for all the subjects provided at the University. Michigan State University will offer up to $25,000 per year to all successful applicants for its International Tuition Grant Scholarship in the USA.
- Applicants who are applying for the grant must have an offer letter for an Undergraduate degree they want to pursue at MSU.
- The applicant must be qualified as an International Student.
- The applicants must fulfil the basic admission requirements while applying for the scholarship as well as must be able to submit all the credentials and documents asked by the trust.
How to apply-
- The applicants who have secured admission to the undergraduate programme at MSU need to apply for the scholarship as early as possible since it is highly competitive.
- The applications for the scholarships are available on the University website. The admissions and scholarship department can also provide details when inquired about.
- The documents and proof for academic performance, involvement of students in communities and extracurriculars, the application essay, and English proficiency are examined.
7. Kazakhstan Government Scholarship for International Students.
The government of Kazakhstan offers scholarships to international students across different countries from multiple Universities and Programs. The scholarship is also available for students of Kazakh identity and community who are not residing in Kazakhstan. You can apply to any University or Institute for your desired course of study. Currently, Kazakhstan is the first and only country in Central Asia recognised as a full member of the European higher education area. The scholarship can open doors to multiple opportunities for you. You can apply for bachelor’s, Master and PhD degrees under this scholarship programme.
- All tuition will be covered by this program;
- Students are paid a monthly allowance based on their educational progress;
- The grant does not cover travel, health insurance, visa or accommodation expenses.
- Students applying for bachelor’s programs should possess a primary secondary level education with “good” grades.
- Students applying for master’s and PhD degrees should have a degree of bachelor’s and master’s respectively with a minimum GPA of 3.0 out of 4 along with an international certificate of proficiency in a foreign language.
How to Apply:
- Fill out the application form for the scholarship by going to the respective website.
- Select your desired colleges along with the field of study.
- Submit the motivational essay and all the other documents asked in the form
- Attempt an online psycho-technical test for identification purposes.
8. DAAD –German Academic Exchange Service.
One of the biggest scholarship funding organisations, DAAD scholarships help students to experience top-notch education in Germany without frantically worrying about the financial burden. Germany is the most affordable European country to live in and study, especially for students. The DAAD scholarship allows international students for pursuing their master’s education, fully funded in Germany. The scholarships are provided for a period of 10 to 24 months, depending upon the duration, of course, one is applying for. The applicant can select respective courses and Universities in which they wish to pursue future education. After the fulfilment of 1st year of the academic course, the performance of the student will be scrutinised for the renewal of the scholarship. If you want to study Sociology, Germany has many prodigious Institutes that provide Sociology majors and even comes under the DAAD scholarship programme.
- Completion of a degree (bachelor’s or Diploma) is the most important pre-requisite for the scholarship. The degree should be completed when the period of funding begins.
- It is available to all students around the globe.
- Depending on the course you wish to apply for, the language requirements may vary. A TOEFL score of at least 550 and an IELTS (band 6) certificate are the minimum requirements for applying for a DAAD scholarship.
- Matriculation is required for courses taught in German. A DSH 2 or Test DAF 4 certificate is mandatory for those courses taught in German. It is required that a level B1 certificate be presented at the time of the application.
How to Apply-
- The DAAD application form is available on their official website.
- The application once filled out should be directly sent to the respective Universities.
- The application should be filled in English or German only.
- The list of required documents is published on the official website and may differ concerning different Universities and Programs.
9. Global Korea Scholarship-
The popularity of K-POP has made South Korea one of the most desired Countries to live in among the youth. But along with that South Korea has made great development in terms of infrastructure, trade and especially education. Every year a great number of international students move to South Korea to pursue their future education. South Korea provides contemporary knowledge and indulges in the classroom and on-field experiences, thus giving students a holistic experience. If you want to pursue Sociology as your major, the Global Korea Scholarship will allow you on the international level to interact with different communities and ethnicities. It will give you a chance to make a global impact and bring about a global change. The scholarship covers tuition fees, airfare costs, living and language courses allowance, medical insurance and research support among other facilities.
- The applicant and their parents must belong to their respective countries and shouldn’t possess Korean citizenship.
- Applicants should pass the basic mental and physical health criteria to stay in a foreign country.
- Have finished formal education- diploma, bachelor’s or master’s from the recognized country.
- Should be under 25 years of age for a graduate degree and under 40 years of age for a postgraduate degree while applying.
- Should have a minimum of 80% G.P.A in their previous degree.
- Students who have already procured a degree from any university in Korea are not eligible.
How to Apply-
- It is the responsibility of the applicants to submit all documents related to their scholarship applications. These documents should be forwarded to the Korean Embassy in their country of residence or the university in their country of residence.
- With the required documents, the Korean Embassy or the domestic university submits the appropriate candidates to NIIED
Once selected, the candidates will be informed via email and an official letter will be sent to the applicant’s residency.
10. Orange Knowledge Programme, Netherlands-
The orange knowledge programme is an opportunity for international students to pursue their education in the Netherlands, the land of tulips and canals. However, before applying to the OKP a student must take into knowledge that currently the programme is available to the citizens of 38 countries. The list of OKP-eligible countries is constantly updated on their official website. A student can browse and select the Universities which collaborate with this programme and then continue with the further process. As a student of Sociology, the Orange Knowledge Programme will prove to be beneficial as it engages more in field study and research.
- The candidate should be an experienced professional in a relevant field. This is to analyse the ability to implement his knowledge in the real world
- Experience with ministries, academic institutions or NGOs is preferred. The candidate must possess a valid identity document, such as a passport.
- Candidates should be nationals of a country on the OKP Country List and working in a country on the list.
- Applicants must have secured admission to a university in the Netherlands to study one of the specific courses listed in the OKP Scholarship Category.
How to Apply-
- To apply for Orange Knowledge Programme, candidates must check if their favourite program qualifies. All the applicants must apply for the programme online.
- For details about the program, applicants should contact the Dutch institution of their choice. The applicants must confirm whether their desired University and Courses come under the OKP.
- As a candidate fills out the online application form, he or she should keep the supporting documents in hand.
- The application form must be submitted by the deadline.
11. MEXT Scholarships-
If you are looking forwardto studying in Japan then the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) of Japan has this scintillating opportunity for international students to live and study in Japan. Students who wish to pursue their graduation, post-graduation or PhD in Japan can do so under the MEXT scholarships. It is a fully funded scholarship programme. MEXT scholarship will cover tuition fees, accommodation, monthly living allowance and round airfare travel expenses from your country to Japan. Studying sociology in Japan under this programme will help you to interact with various communities and enrich your knowledge and experience. The best part is that IELTS or TOEFL exam scores and knowledge of the Japanese language are not a compulsion.
- All the countries are eligible and the mandatory language of communication is English.
- Foreign nationals who wish to apply must be citizens of nations with diplomatic relations with Japan.
- An applicant who has Japanese nationality at the time of application is not eligible.
- In the case of undergraduate students, applicants must be at least 17 years of age and under 25 years of age, and have a high school diploma or courses equivalent to a high school diploma (including prospective graduates).
- Masters and PhD students must be under 35 years old and college graduates (including aspiring graduates). It is also necessary that the applicant has completed 16 / 18 years of education.
How to Apply-
- The applicant has to visit the Japanese Embassy or Consulate of their own country to apply for the MEXT scholarships.
- The applicants need to visit the website of the Japanese Embassy of their respective country. Under the section on education or scholarships, the details about the MEXT scholarship will be provided.
- The applicant needs to download the form and submit it with the documents which are required. A fully detailed list of required documents will be provided on the website.
- The documents need to be submitted to their respective embassy.
- Additionally, a written test and interview of the shortlisted candidates will be taken.
- The selected candidates will be informed via mail or will be notified by the Embassy itself.
12. Webster Vienna Scholarships-
If you want to explore different courses which come under the ambit of sociology then Webster Vienna Private University is a perfect place for you. It has special programmes like Bachelors in Sociology, Social Work and Community Organisation and Development Practices. These courses will help you grow with the help of an intensive syllabus, fieldwork and research. The cherry on top is that you don’t have to pass on this opportunity just because you don’t stay in Austria. The Webster Vienna Scholarship provides partial funding up to 2000 to 10,000 euros per academic year. And the best part is that the scholarship is open and applicable to all nationals.
- Applicants applying for the scholarship must be recent undergraduate, graduate, or transfer students and must possess minimum required certificates during the application.
- The applicants need to possess a minimum GPA of 3.0 from a qualified University.
- Applicants must possess excellent academic records and merit.
- Knowledge of English is compulsory and required for communication and interaction. Those possessing exemplary communication skills will be preferred.
- Transfer students who wish to study at Webster Vienna Private University under the scholarship can also apply.
How to apply-
- Students who are selected and accepted for the programmes offered by the University can request the scholarship forms from the University Administration or Scholarship Coordinator.
- The student needs to upload and submit the requested documents to carry on with the scholarship procedure
- Documents like acceptance letters, motivation letters and financial documents like salary and tax slips are required to qualify for the scholarship.
- An original essay on the topic given by the University must be submitted by the student.
The students who fulfil all the requirements and qualify will get the benefits of the scholarship which they can utilise for their study, research and stationery purposes.
13. University of Sydney International Scholarship
The University of Sydney in Australia has a well-known and celebrated Department of Sociology that provides Graduate and Undergraduate Courses in Gender Studies, Sociology and Social Work. The courses focus on honing research and analysis skills with the help of creative learning and on-field experience. It is a welcoming place, especially for international students and there are all sorts of resources available to aid and assist them. If you are willing to create a social change with the help of fundamental skills then the University of Sydney is the right place for you. With the help and support of the International Scholarship fund, studying at this prestigious University is a dream open to all students.
- It is open to all nationalities except for Australian
- The scholarship is available for Masters and PhD degrees.
- The applicant must be commencing or enrolled as an International student at the University of Sydney.
- The applicant must possess excellent academic achievements and research potential.
- The minimum requirement of grades can be changed by the University every year.
- The University provides full funding of about 35,629 AUD per annum for academic purposes.
How to Apply
- To be considered for research scholarships, students should select the checkbox to consider research scholarships while applying for admission to the University.
- A separate application is not required.
- Applications are open all year round.
14. Turkiye Scholarships for International Students-
If you want to study in a Country which is the centre of world culture, history and languages then the Turkiye Scholarship will help you get a fully- funded degree in Turkey. The scholarship is available to all nationals across various courses. Turkey has comprehensive and holistic Sociology Master’s and PhD programmes available across different Universities. One can apply to multiple colleges and universities as per their preferences with a single application form.
- Citizens of all countries are eligible to apply except those who are citizens of Turkey or have lost their Turkish Citizenship.
- Applicants must be a graduate students at the time of applying for the scholarships
- Individuals who are currently enrolled in programs at Turkish universities at any level of education are not applicable.
- Age criteria will defer as per the courses applied for Masters’ programme candidates should be below 30 years of age and for PhD programmes below 35 years of age.
How to Apply-
- The official application form will be available on the website.
- The applicants need to select their desired programs, courses and University preferences while filling out the application form.
- All the documents asked must be submitted before time along with a letter of intent explaining the aims and goals in the applicant’s future.
- A test and interview will be conducted at the final stage after assessing all the required documents. If the candidate is fulfilling all the requirements then a confirmation call or email of selection will be sent to the selected candidate.
15. Faculty of Arts International Master’s Degree Scholarship
The Faculty of Arts International Master’s Degree Scholarship is provided by the University of Auckland, New Zealand in the field of Arts. It is open to students from all nationalities. The scholarship provides partial funding of up to $10,000. The grant is especially for tuition fee purposes. The University of Auckland is a public research University and is ranked among the top 100 universities in the QS world universities ranking. The university provides undergraduate, graduate, postgraduate and PhD courses in sociology and also ranks one of the best colleges in New Zealand in terms of employability. The international master’s degree scholarship provides an opportunity for international students to critically engage with society and contribute to the development of the communities and world at large.
- Scholarships are offered to all international students who are not citizens of New Zealand.
- There will be up to ten Scholarships awarded annually, each with a value of up to $10,000 per annum for a year. Master’s degree recipients can reapply in the following year if they are enrolled in a two-year program
- It is necessary for candidates to be enrolled and paid fees for full-time enrolment in a Master of Arts degree program, or to arrange to pay the fees, to be eligible for the Scholarship.
- To be eligible for scholarship consideration, applicants must achieve a GPA or GPE of at least 7.00 in their most recent qualifying program.
- Ensure that all program-specific requirements are met
- To be selected, academic merit will be taken into account.
How to Apply-
- Application deadlines for scholarships are usually announced around six weeks before they expire.
- The candidates need to fill out the application form and submit the details and documents as per required. Detailed information will be provided on the University of Auckland website.
- Scholarship applications are submitted to the Scholarships Office.
- The Scholarship is awarded by the University of Auckland Council based on recommendations from the Selection Committee. Application evaluation is based on both the applicant’s qualifications and needs.
Students and their families benefit from scholarships by reducing their financial burden. In addition to studying and exploring opportunities in a new country, students can build networks there. By doing so, students can chase their dreams without worrying about debt or loans. Discover the above-given opportunities and choose what suits you best to take the first step towards the future you have always dreamed of.
Also Read: Top Universities for Sociology Students