What is an earthquake? Any sudden movement of the earth’s surface is called an earthquake.
What is the Phenomenon:
- An earthquake takes place mostly when two parts of the earth’s surface move suddenly relation to each other along a fault.
- At that moment a large amount of energy is released in the form of vibrations and tremors.
- the focus is the point where an earthquake originates.
- An epicenter is a point on the earth’s surface above the focus.
- the major severity occurs in the area of an epicenter only, when coming to destruction mostly found in and around the Epicentre itself.
Effects of the earthquake:
- We Face problems like fire breaks out.
- A large number of wells dry up.
- Severe damage and sometimes buildings collapse.
- A large number of trees gets uprooted.
- Many power and transport lines are cut-off, this causes much damage to society.
- Number of Rivers may change their courses if their channels are blocked by hill-slides.
- Very Great damage to life and properties.
- Many Mines and Pipelines became inoperative.
- many fissures appear on the ground.
Factors that cause earthquakes:
- Because of Volcanic Eruptions.
- Also, cause of Hill slides and Avalanches
(a mass of snow, ice, and rocks falling rapidly down a mountainside)
- According to the recent study by scientist and Investigation Department, Over Exploitation of the groundwater resources cause an earthquake.