Medical Termination of Pregnancy, MTP Act Background of MTP act:
Features of MTP act,1971:
3 It defines the conditions on which the termination can be made, and the qualified persons to perform the same.
|mother happy with her baby|
- It goes against the women s right to autonomy and self-determination.
- Doesn’t take into factors like separation, death of partner, rape survivor, financial conditions ( even in these cases the termination cannot be extended after 20 weeks exception only if that possess severe threat to life of mother )
- Social pressure s like living in denial, late decision making etc
- Irrational as certain abnormalities become conspicuous only during late-term pregnancy.
- Article -21 defines right to live with dignity which allows women to have the independent choice on right to reproduction, but in the present act, it is denied.
- The availability of safe and legal abortions in India is outnumbering the illegal abortions.
- Education, awareness, and counseling with strict regulation are to be made.
- Termination beyond 20 weeks must be made legal in exception cases.
- The need for RMP before 12 weeks shouldn’t be made mandatory
- Midlevel providers are to be employed for second trimester and certification should be given for allowing abortion by one provider against the two.