Constitution, It is Volume of rules and regulations which determine the nature of the state and the System of Government.
Preamble to the Indian Constitution
- The Indian Constitution begins with a forward called the Preamble.
- The Preamble embodies the basic principles or ideas of the constitution.
- It aims for the establishment of India as a Sovereign, Socialist, Secular and Democratic Republic.
- It declares liberty,equality, and fraternity as its ideals.
- It assures Social,Economic and Political Justice to the citizens of India.
- It offers Liberty of Thought, expression, belief,faith, and worship.
- It provides equality of status and opportunity to all the people.
- It strives to promote Fraternity among all the citizens assuring the dignity of the individual and the integrity of the Nation.
Salient Features of Indian Constitution
- The Constitution of India is a written and comprehensive document with 395 articles and 12 schedules.
- India is a Sovereign Socialist Secular Decomcractic Republic state.
- It establishes a parliamentary system of government.
- It guarantees Fundamental Rights to all citizens of India.
- It lays down the’Directive Principles of State Policy for the guidance of legislatures and the executive of the country.
- It establishes a federation with the strong Unitary feature.
- It provides for an independent judiciary with supreme court as the highest court of appeal.
- It provides universal adult franchise.
- It Recognises only Single citizenship.
- It incorporates Fundamental Duties of citizens.
- It establishes a federal political structure with wide Unitary Features.
Indian Constitution features in a secular
- A secular state is one which does not have its own religion.
- India is a secular state because it does not have a state religion.
- All Religions are equal in the eyes of the government and given equal justice.
- The government adopts the policy of neutrality with respect to religious matters.
- The Fundamental right” Right to religion” is given to all people.
- The Word ‘Secular’ has been added to the preamble through the 42nd Amendment.
Democratic Features of Indian Constitution
- The Constitution introduces Universal Adult Franchise to all citizens without any discrimination.
- The Constitution establishes a Parliamentary system of government at the centre and in the states.
- The real authority rests in the Cabinet, But the Cabinet is responsible to the Legislature.
- The Constitution gives Fundamental Rights to the citizens.These rights are safeguarded by the courts.
- Decentralization of powers and establishment of Panchayat Raj at Village level are also democratic features of Indian Constitution.